2.6.09

My Persian cat Purrs, I Wonder Why?

My Persian cat Purrs, I Wonder Why?


by Connie Limon




Do you wonder why the Persian cat and all other breeds of cats purr from time to time or almost all the time? This is a question that no one has been able to answer for sure. We just don’t know why cats purr. As Persian cat owners we would like to think the purring meant “contentment." Those who research such matters say this is one reason and probably the “greatest" reason a cat purrs.


Where does the noise come from?


· Scientists agree the larynx (voice box), laryngeal muscles and a neural oscillator are all involved in the purring process


Understanding of how our domestic cats purr is becoming more and more complete. We know from experience Persian kittens and other cat breeds learn how to purr when they are a couple of days old. Veterinarians think this purring communicates to animal mom:


· “Mom, I am okay."


· “Mom, I am here."


The purring of kittens toward cat mom also indicates a bonding mechanism between kitten and cat mom.


I purchased a couple of Persian kittens. On day six, as I held them both in my arms, they both began to vibrate, and make the purring noise. I thought, are they growling at me? I am a Shih Tzu dog breed owner also. But, no, they were purring. They had bonded with me as their surrogate mother and were telling me, “I am happy with you," “I am content right now," and “I am okay." I am certain this was messages they were sending me.


It has also been suggested that cats purr when they are injured or in pain (believe me, my kittens were not in pain). The purr, with its low frequency vibrations acts as a natural healing mechanism. Purring may also be linked to:


· Strengthening and repairing of bones


· Relief of pain


· Wound healing


Whatever the meaning to the Persian cat and other cat breeds purr, we are for certain it is a unique vocal feature of the domestic cat. It is probably an instinct because it occurs in the Bobcat, Cheetah, Eurasian Lynx, Puma, Wild Cat and many others of the Felidae family as well.


Studies show the bigger cats such as lions, leopards, Jaguars, Tigers, Snow Leopard, and Clouded Leopard to not exhibit true purring; however, they exhibit a purr-like sound.


As my kittens purred, they did not have their mouths open. I first wondered where is this sound coming from, something inside the cat’s body, as there was a vibration with it as well. This is the distinction from other cat vocalizations in that the purr is produced during the entire respiratory cycle (the inhaling and exhaling). The meow, which I have heard also, happens as the kitten opens its mouth and is limited to the expiration of breath. This is an interesting concept about cats, I think.


Other times when Persian cats and other cat breeds purr are:


· A queen will purr while giving birth (probably a moment of joy as well as pain; it is unknown why this occurs)


· Kittens instinctively purr while nursing


· Ma-ma cats purr right back at kittens as they nurse


· An adult cat can purr at the drop of a hat, whenever you are near, but especially when you are holding or petting (this is when my Persian kittens purred the first time, while I was holding and petting them)


With the knowledge of how and why a cat purrs, it makes sense that cats are often used as “therapy animals" in convalescent hospitals, or in retirement homes. It is a proven fact that cat owners have lower blood pressure. This is especially true in the elderly population.


This human-feline bond is quite pleasant and enjoyable. It made me feel like all was well in the world, and I even hummed right back at them! It was a precious moment in the relationship between myself and my Persian kittens.


Written by: Connie Limon To learn more about Persian cats and to purchase the exquisite “Chinchilla and Shaded Silver" kittens visit us at http://www.fairydewpersiancats.com For a variety of FREE reprint articles visit Camelot Articles at http://www.camelotarticles.com


This article is FREE to publish with the resource box.


© 2008 Connie Limon All Rights Reserved


Originally published on SearchWarp.com for Connie Limon Sunday, May 25, 2008

Article Source: My Persian cat Purrs, I Wonder Why?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Pet Supermarket

Followers

Blog about Cat

SE provided by HigherEd Degrees Online marketing team.